Enter your Email address below and press the GO button.
· ELECTRONIC CURRENT LIMITING This safety feature will rapidly reduce the output voltage to zero volts in case of an electrical short or overload condition. This rapid shutdown like the circuit breaker in your house prevents possible RV wiring and converter damage.
· INTELLIGENT COOLING FAN A solid-state temperature sensing and control system operates the cooling fan only under high load conditions, not at night when you are trying to sleep. Some converters use Electro-mechanical devices to provide temperature sensing and fan control. Electro-mechanical sensors are more subject to failure and may stick in the closed mode causing the fan to operate all the time, resulting in an irritating noise. They can also fail to close during high temperature conditions and prevent the fan from operating. This failure may cause over heating and possible converter failure.
· AUTOMATIC OVER-TEMPERATURE SHUTDOWN This safety feature will shut the converter down in the unlikely event of a fan failure and prevent damage to the converter. This safety feature will also activate if the area where the converter is mounted is too small, has inadequate ventilation, or is accidentally covered by the customer.
· LOW VOLTAGE OPERATION The Progressive Dynamics 9100 Series Converters will operate at low AC line voltages without damage. This feature is especially important in RV campgrounds where AC line voltage can be as low as 90 volts.
· HIGH VOLTAGE PROTECTION This feature automatically shuts the converter down to protect sensitive electronics in the event of high voltage transients on the AC power line, or if the RV generator regulator should momentarily fail.
· REVERSE BATTERY PROTECTION Reverse Battery circuitry prevents converter damage and in the event you accidentally connect the battery in reverse. Simple replacement of the fuse(s) located on the front of the converter restores the unit to normal operation.
· TOTAL CHARGE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (TCMS) All PD9100 Series Power Converters incorporate a TCMS connector port located on the front of the converter to allow for the installation of the Charge Wizard.
The Charge Wizard is designed to plug into the standard TCMS port located on the front of all models of the Inteli-Power 9100 Series Converters (see drawing below). The Charge Wizard is a microprocessor-controlled unit that constantly monitors the RV battery voltage and then selects one of three charging voltages and one of four operating modes to properly re-charge or maintain the RV battery. The addition of the Charge Wizard makes your 9100 Series converter an intelligent battery charger that will safely and rapidly recharge a discharged battery by selecting the Boost Mode (14.4V) of operation. Once the battery reaches 90% of full charge, the Charge Wizard automatically selects the Normal Mode (13.6V) to safely complete the charge. The Storage Mode (13.2V) is automatically selected after 30 hours of non-use of the 12-volt RV electrical systems. The lower charging voltage in the Storage Mode of operation reduces battery gassing and water usage, while maintaining the charge. Every 21 hours when the system is operating in the Storage Mode, the Charge Wizard will automatically switch to the Equalizing Mode of operation. The Equalizing Mode increases the charging voltage up to 14.4 volts for 15 minutes. This increased voltage mixes up the battery electrolyte and prevents battery stratification and the resulting problems of battery sulfation.
WHAT IS THE CHARGE WIZARD?
The Charge Wizard is a microprocessor-controlled device designed to operate exclusively with Progressive Dynamics 9100 Series Inteli-Power Converters. It constantly monitors the RV battery, then automatically adjusts the converter output voltage based on its charge status. The Charge Wizard has four (4) operating Modes (BOOST, NORMAL, STORAGE AND EQUALIZE). Each Mode is automatically selected by the microprocessor and ensures a fast yet safe recharge for your RV battery.
CHARGE WIZARD INDICATOR
The Charge Wizard has a light that indicates the Mode it is operating in as follows.
LIGHT ON AT ALL TIMES Indicates the Charge Wizard is in the Boost Mode (Converter output voltage set to 14.4-volts)
LIGHT BLINKS ON AND OFF APPROX. EVERY SECOND. The Charge Wizard is in the Normal Mode (Converter output voltage set to 13.6-volts).
LIGHT BLINKS ON AND OFF APPROX. EVERY 5 SECONDS. The Charge Wizard is in the Storage Mode (Converter output voltage set to 13.2-volts).
THE MODE SELECT SWITCH
The Charge Wizard functions are fully automatic however; you can test the Charge Wizards functions manually by pressing and holding the MODE SELECT SWITCH BUTTON DOWN. When the button is first pressed, the light will be ON all the time, indicating it is in the BOOST Mode (converter output 14.4 VDC). If you continue to hold the button, the unit will switch to the NORMAL Mode (converter output 13.6 VDC) and the light will blink approximately once a second. If you continue to hold the button down the unit will go into the STORAGE Mode (converter output 13.2 VDC) and the light will blink approximately every five- (5) seconds. NOTE: No matter which mode you manually select, the Charge Wizard will automatically return to the NORMAL Mode of operation after 4 -hours.
BATTERY RECHARGE CURVESWITH CONVERTER OUTPUT VOLTAGE SET AT 14.4, 13.6 AND 13.2-VOLTS
The chart above shows the amount of time it took a PD9155 (55-amp) converter set to three different output voltages to recharge a 125 AH (Amp Hour) battery after it was fully discharged to 10.5-volts.
14.4-VOLTS (Boost Mode) Returned the battery to 90% of full charge in approximately 3-hours. The battery reached full charge in approximately 11 hours.
13.6-VOLTS (Normal Mode) Required 40-hours to return the battery to 90% of full charge and 78-hours to reach full charge.
13.2-VOLTS (Storage Mode) Required 60-hours to return the battery to 90% of full charge and 100-hours to reach full charge.
As you can see the Charge Wizards ability to increase the voltage of our converters from the Normal Output Voltage of 13.6-volts to 14.4-volts in the Boost Mode, will significantly reduce the time it takes to recharge your RV battery. The lower voltage 13.2-volts Storage Mode, prevents battery gassing and water loss allowing you to keep your RV plugged into 120 VAC power during storage to maintain the battery at full charge.